Thursday 11 August 2016

ARB Exhibiton 2016 Photos



I have lost my rhythm and routine for posting blogs. Did I ever have it?. 
There are so many distractions, and time goes by so quickly. I believe though, that it is important to keep up with it however erratic my posts might be. With a bit of discipline and determination I will get there (I will never give up trying). My exhibition was a great success. I was pleased with the overall layout of the work that I displayed. It came together and showed a strength which I had not realized was present in my work. I saw some pieces differently and they took on a whole new meaning in the venue that was the exhibition space. I have a few photos to share below.


I loved the impact that these quilts made at the entrance.
Smaller quilts on the rails.





The building has wonderful architectural qualities which complimented the work. I used the railings to hang a few quilts and the larger ones were really quite breathtaking on entering the foyer.

Ilatmal wall hanging

The floor in the photo above had a collection of  three pieces entitled I am not my hair, I explored the ideas of traditional beauty and how sometimes you are stereotyped  based purely on how you look. My inspiration was drawn from  reactions to my own hairstyle. They were behind glass so did not photograph well.They were positioned on the yellow wall.

These two pieces were placed at the end of the corridor
The small piece on left is inspired by my mother and her battle with Alzheimer's, it is a mixed media painting with images of haunting symbols which resemble African masks. Alongside this I placed "Question of a Woman" a quilt based on the Ngady masks.

The yellow wall complemented these pieces
This piece was made from handmade paper and Tyvek.
I am now looking forward to my next exhibition and hope that I am able to produce even more stimulating and thought provoking work.Finally a photo of Melissa below with a quilt I made of her using her dyed fabric, she was pleased as it made a powerful impact at the end of a dark corridor.

Melissa with a quilt made in her likeness.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Your blog is extremely brilliant. Quality contents are here.
African textiles

12 August 2016 at 20:44  
Blogger Gina said...

Wonderful work Sandra!

12 August 2016 at 20:59  
Blogger Hand Works by Trish Williams - Fiber Artist/quilter said...

Thank you for sharing. These are stunning and you inspire me.

15 September 2016 at 14:57  
Blogger Ricki said...

I'm pleased to say that I saw the show 'live' and in situ. It was was amazing to see so much wonderful work all together and so beautifully displayed.

27 September 2016 at 22:00  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home