Wednesday 23 February 2011

Picture Perfect or Fabulous Fun Females

A few days ago I had great news, Ricky and I were selected to take part in the Carnival Crossroads project in March. We had applied for it not really expecting to get a place especially when we saw how many other artists were present at the meeting. Then January came and I thought we had little hope but I was wrong. This opportunity means an intensive training session in Luton for four days learning how to make and construct wonderful carnival costumes. What a great opportunity to learn new skills, meet new people and have great fun.


On Saturday I will be running a workshop titled Picture Perfect Portraits at the annual event in a village near to where I live. It is called Textiles in Focus and has always been an event which I have attended and taken part in for many years.


My Picture Perfect Portraits are created using mixed media techniques with a cartoon like female character as the main focus. This image is stitched, painted or printed to make it interesting and then placed onto a background which is also decorated in a complimentary way.The two are then combined and the picture is complete.






They are meant to be fun and quirky and can be used to make a statement if the artist wishes.

What is so addictive about these is that there are endless directions and effects which can be explored. This has left me considering the idea of developing them into larger pieces. I have made quite a few and the image here is a montage of only three of them. I like the simplicity of the characters and the vibrancy of the colours each one being individual and unique even though I am only using three different characters.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Hey Sandra!!! I am probably coming to the event at Cottenham at teh weekend and was looking at the programme when I saw your name :D How are you? Your blog looks fab so is now in my favourites and will be reading through...but I see you are a grandma...congratulations!! Maybe I will see you at the weekend. Unfortunately I won't be able to do your workshop but amd really looking forward to seeing your work.

Lucy (Carlson) xxx

24 February 2011 at 10:22  
Blogger LOVE STITCHING RED said...

So wonderful!

24 February 2011 at 19:08  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home