Thursday 31 January 2013

Dyeing, Discharge, Paint and Quilting

For the past few days I have been working on another quilt. This quilt started because I had some wonderful dyed fabric which I liked, the pieces were a bit too small for anything
 so I stitched them together, they were longer than wide and this resulted in wider fabric with a seam down the middle. This central seam looked a bit odd so my plan was to do more piecing. Instead I found a sketch which I had done previously and  made a stencil of it. I placed it centrally onto the fabric and removed some of the colour with a decolourant. The effect worked, I liked it and thought that I could make it into a quilt if only the seam down the middle was not there. I kept working on it painting circles and organic shapes in the background around the figures to develop and enhance the design. I liked the warm subtle colours which were a result of the dyeing and discharging  process and chose paints which complimented them.




 At this point I thought that maybe with some quilting the middle seam would disappear and not be obvious.  I finished the quilting this morning. I think that I will do a bit more on it possibly more painting.

6 Comments:

Blogger Lori said...

This is a beautiful piece!

1 February 2013 at 13:17  
Blogger Marian Hall said...

What seem down the middle? I love the design and the colours.

1 February 2013 at 18:26  
Blogger Hand Works by Trish Williams - Fiber Artist/quilter said...

Wonderful piece! I love the colors and the quilting.

2 February 2013 at 14:40  
Blogger Renee said...

Hey Sandra, catching up on my blog reading:-). I am like Marian... if you hadn't mentioned the seam I don't anyone would notice it. Love this piece!

25 February 2013 at 20:14  
Blogger Digitalgran said...

It's a wonderful piece of work.

17 March 2013 at 15:05  
Blogger Unicia said...

This is beautiful and I would love to learn more about the dyeing and discharging process. I've painted on fabric before but I don't even think I do that correctly. How can I learn more?

6 June 2013 at 15:34  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home