Sunday 11 May 2014

Young woman with the Rams Horn - Painting a portrait part 2


This is the second video in my project which demonstrates how I sometimes create a quilt from an idea in my sketch pad to fabric and finally to the machine for quilting. It shows how I used the first painting as a template to develop the design. Using tracing paper, I add details to the figure and  background. For my background I have used a commercially printed fabric instead of my own hand dyed cottons.
 I have always been inspired by the work of Gustave Klimt and in this piece I have incorporated elements inspired by the background pattern used in his works Expectations and Fulfilment. I realised that these patterns  are similar to the Rams horn symbol used in Ghana and other regions of Africa. The Rams horn is a symbol of Humility, Excellence, Wisdom and Knowledge as mentioned in The book The Royal Arts of Africa  by Suzanne Preston Blier. I combined these elements and the final result can be seen below.


The completed quilt shows a female whose  facial expression quietly displays the qualities of the Rams Horn symbol tattooed on her neck. Her hair evolves into a crown like halo which elevates her to a saintly presence.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Lori said...

Beautiful piece! I love watching the process too. Thanks for sharing.

8 May 2014 at 13:11  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home